3D Assessment of Slopes at Risk for Rockfalls
3D Model Creation
Constructing rockfall models is easier and faster than ever. Import ground surfaces from geological modelling or mine planning software or with the Terrain Generator, import digital elevation models directly from satellite data coordinates to speed up the model creation process. Using RocFall3’s other built-in surface construction methods, you can also build surfaces from point cloud data, elevation data, polyline lofting, or by extrusion.
Integration with RocFall2
The integration of RocFall3 with its 2D counterpart RocFall2 allows you to import models directly from RocFall2 and extrude the geometry to easily create a 3D model. You can also define 2D sections within a full 3D model and batch export them back to RocFall2 with predefined materials and parameters to seamlessly run group analyses in 2D.
3D Barrier Design & Analysis
Analysis of rockfall stabilization measures is crucial to any slope design. RocFall3’s barrier logic is designed after Rocfall2 which provides flexibility in having an unlimited number of barriers, deformable barriers, energy capacity, elongation, adjustable heights, and more.
Features in RocFall3
- Select from Lumped Mass and Rigid Body Methods
- Scale normal coefficient of restitution by rock mass or impact velocity
- Psuedo-random number generation for repeatable results
- Advanced simulation settings
Lumped Mass Method
- Models each rock as a particle with only mass
- Models impacts using both normal and tangential coefficients of restitution
- Models pseudo-rotation
- Models sliding using friction angle
Rigid Body Method
- Define rock shape, size, and mass:
- Polygonal rock shapes and smooth shapes
- Custom Polygon rock shapes
- Models sliding and rolling with dynamic coefficients of friction and rolling friction
- Variable friction with sliding distance
- Viscoplastic ground drag
- Forest damping for vegetated slopes
- Variable slope roughness
- Specify rock source locations using point seeders, point seeder series, and line seeders
- Unlimited number of rock source locations
- Probability settings for seeder starting velocities and rotations
- Pseudo-random number generation
- No restrictions on slope geometry (e.g., overhanging sections)
- Statistically defined material properties
- Model crest loss
- Statistically defined slope vertices
- Import/export material properties
- Import .dxf, .crsp (version 3 & 4) files
- Define slope based on segment lengths and angles
Enhanced Barrier Analysis
- Unlimited number of barriers
- Single variable barrier sensitivity analysis
- Double variable barrier sensitivity analysis
- Reusable barrier properties
- Built-in library includes Maccaferri, Trumer-Schutzbauten, Geobrugg, PFEIFER Protective Structures and RISP barriers
- Custom barriers
- Check barrier designs per Italian, Austrian codes or Non-factored method
- Triangular, trapezoidal, or custom berm shapes
- Calculate impact with berms or specify berms with infinite capacities
- Gather information/statistics at any location
- Define advanced filters based on combinations of criteria
- Filter rock paths to create statistics/graphs
- Histogram of rock endpoint locations
- Plot max, mean, and/or percentile graphs (energy, velocity, bounce height, etc.) along slope
- Distribution graphs show the distribution of bounce heights, energies, etc. at specific locations (same data as envelope graphs)
- Create histograms or cumulative distributions for specific locations (impact locations, energy, etc.)
- Toggle end reasons, seeders, rock types, and rock shapes added to Endpoint location, envelope, and distribution graphs
- Group plots of runout distances and barrier impacts for slope sections batch exported from RocFall3
- Copy graphs/plots to clipboard
- Transfer plots to Excel with one click
- Add property tables to the model view
- Export slope, rock paths, barriers, collectors, and berms to .dxf format
- Copy geometry/parameters to clipboard
- Advanced report generation
- Save screen to image file or capture to clipboard
- Slope and slope/chart views are easily added
- Animate rockfall trajectories
- Display contact points
- Save computed paths
- Adding views to your Report
- Adding barrier design reports to your Report
- Print report or export to PDF’s
Common Material Type Libraries
- Table of coefficients of restitution included
- Table of coefficients of friction included
- Table of rock densities
RocFall3 across Applications
Account for loss of bench width, assess the risk of runoff reaching lower operating levels, and design mitigation measures for your mines.
Analyze instabilities in highly jointed rock slopes which pose risks for kinematic slope failures.
Assess the risk of rockfalls reaching roadways and design and model remedial measures such as barriers and berms.
Explore the latest features in RocFall2
The rigid body analysis method now accommodates 16 rock shapes. Define rock seeder properties using the new rock shape library.
Like RocFall2, RocFall3 supports both the lump mass and rigid body analysis methods. The lump mass engine includes impacts and sliding physics. The rigid body engine accommodates various rock shapes and multi-contact physics to calculate impacts, sliding, and rolling.
RocFall3 allows you to easily view rock paths, trajectories, and final stopping locations. It can also contour various data, such as the energy and bounce heights along the path, while plotting the runout distribution and spatial distribution of stopping locations. RocFall3’s suite of visualization tools includes runout distributions, barrier statistics, and its user-friendly interface makes it easy to filter your data.
Other Rocscience Product
RSPile 3D Pile Analysis Lateral & Axial Pile Analysis Carry out lateral & axial analyses of various piles with the flexibility to design piles with multiple sections and model complex soil strata using boreholes. Capacity Pile Analysis Analyze Load and Bearing...
Settle3 Soil Settlement and Consolidation Analysis Settlement Analysis Perform soil settlement analysis to analyze immediate settlement, primary consolidation and secondary settlement of embankments, foundations, and surface loads. Easily create soil profiles using...
CPillar Support Estimation Using Ground Reaction Curves Crown Pillar Stability Analysis Get quick and easy stability analysis of surface or underground crown pillars and laminated roof beds using three different limit equilibrium analysis methods: rigid plate, elastic...
RocSupport Support Estimation Using Ground Reaction Curves Ground Reaction Curve Easy-to-use software for estimating deformation of circular excavations in weak rock. Given the tunnel radius, in-situ stress conditions, rock parameters and support parameters, a ground...
UnWedge Underground Wedge Stability Analysis Underground Wedge Stability Analysis Analyze underground tunnel excavations with intersecting discontinuities and visualize the model in 3D. Determine the stability of tetrahedral wedges formed along the tunnel perimeter...
EX3 3D Stress Analysis for Underground Excavations Boundary Element Method & Stress Analysis Perform faster analysis of underground excavations using Boundary Element Method, which only requires meshing of the surface, resulting in simpler and more efficient...
RSLog Web-based Borehole Log Management Borehole Data Management Centralize your borehole data and streamline the process of field data collection, review, and preparation of borehole logs. Designed for geotechnical, environmental, and mining projects with significant...
RocTopple Toppling Stability Analysis for SlopesBlock Toppling Model Analyze 2D block or block-flexural toppling stability given the slope geometry, and the joint spacing, dip and strength. RocTopple employs the Block toppling method of Goodman and Bray (1976), a...
RocPlane Graphical and Statistical Analysis of Orientation DataPlanar Rock Slope Analysis Quickly and easily define planar wedge models, visualized in 2D and 3D. Perform planar sliding stability analysis using Limit Equilibrium Method. Model the effects of joint shear...
Dips Graphical and Statistical Analysis of Orientation DataStereographic Projection Analysis Designed for interactive analysis of orientation based geological data. Visualize orientation vectors, density contours, planes, intersections, and traverses. Draw...