Support Estimation Using Ground Reaction Curves
Ground Reaction Curve
Easy-to-use software for estimating deformation of circular excavations in weak rock. Given the tunnel radius, in-situ stress conditions, rock parameters and support parameters, a ground reaction curve and a support reaction curve are calculated. The intersection of these curves determines a factor of safety for the support system. Account for long term tunnel behaviour by applying a strength reduction factor to obtain a long-term Ground Reaction Curve.
Install combinations of Rockbolts, Steelsets, Shotcrete, or Custom supports. Users can select from a library of predefined supports using manufacturer’s specifications. Define support installation as the distance from the tunnel face, by percentage of tunnel convergence or by tunnel displacement.
Deterministic or Probabilistic Analysis
Compute a factor of safety with deterministic analysis or probability of failure for probabilistic models using convergence-confinement analysis. Model variability in tunnel radius, in-situ stress, and rock material properties by assigning statistical distributions to variables. Create histogram, cumulative, and scatter plots of statistical data.
Features in RocSupport
- Duncan Fama solution for ground reaction curve
- Carranza-Torres solution
- Vrakas and Anagnostou solution
- Lee and Pietruszczak solution
- Barbosa solution
- Vrakas (2016) solution
- Plot long-term ground reaction curve (specify strength reduction factor)
- Deterministic (safety factor) or probabilistic (probability of failure) analysis
- Monte Carlo or Latin Hypercube simulation
- Random or pseudo-random sampling
- Random variables—all tunnel and rock parameters can be defined as random variables
- Statistical distributions—normal, uniform, triangular, beta, exponential, lognormal, gamma
- Histogram, cumulative, and scatter plots
- User-defined plot variables
- Best-fi t distribution and regression line
- Highlight support failure on histogram and scatter plots
- One-click export of charts to Excel
- Elastic properties: Young’s Modulus, Poisson’s Ratio
- Strength properties: Mohr-Coulomb or Generalized Hoek-Brown
- Equivalent Mohr-Coulomb parameters can be calculated from Hoek-Brown parameters (GSI, mi, intact UCS, D)
- Built-in charts and tables help estimate suitable values of GSI, mi, intact UCS, and D
- Peak and residual strength parameters for Generalized Hoek-Brown criterion
- Pre-defined support types for rock bolts, steel sets, and shotcrete
- Combine multiple support types (e.g., rock bolts and shotcrete)
- Simple parametric analysis —add, change, or remove support with a few mouse clicks
- User-defined support
- Support installation—specify distance from face or tunnel convergence
- Interactive positioning of support
- Longitudinal deformation profile —built-in or user-defined function
- Custom support option for each of the three support types
- Steel set reinforcement database
- Tunnel radius
- In-situ stress
- Ground reaction and support reaction views
- Tunnel section and plastic zone radius views
- Customize display options
- Export image fi les
- Info Viewer summary of analysis results
Explore the latest features in RocSupport
The Vrakas Method (2016) is a new analysis option in RocSupport used for tunnels with large-strain non-linear Generalized Hoek-Brown with dilation.
Save time with the Batch Compute feature which enables you to compute several deterministic and/or probabilistic RocSupport model files (.rsp) at once and quickly generate results to text or Excel format.
Automate a deterministic or probabilistic analysis in RocSupport by reading in various numerical input data from an Excel template, and quickly generating computed results to text or Excel format.
Other Rocscience Product
RSPile 3D Pile Analysis Lateral & Axial Pile Analysis Carry out lateral & axial analyses of various piles with the flexibility to design piles with multiple sections and model complex soil strata using boreholes. Capacity Pile Analysis Analyze Load and Bearing...
Settle3 Soil Settlement and Consolidation Analysis Settlement Analysis Perform soil settlement analysis to analyze immediate settlement, primary consolidation and secondary settlement of embankments, foundations, and surface loads. Easily create soil profiles using...
CPillar Support Estimation Using Ground Reaction Curves Crown Pillar Stability Analysis Get quick and easy stability analysis of surface or underground crown pillars and laminated roof beds using three different limit equilibrium analysis methods: rigid plate, elastic...
UnWedge Underground Wedge Stability Analysis Underground Wedge Stability Analysis Analyze underground tunnel excavations with intersecting discontinuities and visualize the model in 3D. Determine the stability of tetrahedral wedges formed along the tunnel perimeter...
EX3 3D Stress Analysis for Underground Excavations Boundary Element Method & Stress Analysis Perform faster analysis of underground excavations using Boundary Element Method, which only requires meshing of the surface, resulting in simpler and more efficient...
RSLog Web-based Borehole Log Management Borehole Data Management Centralize your borehole data and streamline the process of field data collection, review, and preparation of borehole logs. Designed for geotechnical, environmental, and mining projects with significant...
RocTopple Toppling Stability Analysis for SlopesBlock Toppling Model Analyze 2D block or block-flexural toppling stability given the slope geometry, and the joint spacing, dip and strength. RocTopple employs the Block toppling method of Goodman and Bray (1976), a...
RocPlane Graphical and Statistical Analysis of Orientation DataPlanar Rock Slope Analysis Quickly and easily define planar wedge models, visualized in 2D and 3D. Perform planar sliding stability analysis using Limit Equilibrium Method. Model the effects of joint shear...
Dips Graphical and Statistical Analysis of Orientation DataStereographic Projection Analysis Designed for interactive analysis of orientation based geological data. Visualize orientation vectors, density contours, planes, intersections, and traverses. Draw...
RSData Strength & Stress Analysis of Rock and Soil MaterialsVirtual Soil Mechanics Lab Utilize constitutive models like NorSand and Modified Cam Clay to get an in-depth look into the stress-strain relationship of your soil materials. RocProp A bonus of RSData is...